The Weekend Gamer

Game Reviews from real gamers, with real lives who are tired of reading bias reviews in major publications.

[Please support my sponsors.]

Saturday, August 13, 2005

Ps3


This is me excited.

I have always been a loyal Sony customer from my T.V to my PlayStation 2, But I have felt that consoles did not have enough power. I would always turn back to my computer in dismay and engage in pixilated violence there. Consoles would never replaced my beloved PC I believed...

That is until I saw the specs for the PS3:


CPU: Cell Processor PowerPC-base Core @3.2GHz
--1 VMX vector unit per core
--512KB L2 cache
--7 x SPE @3.2GHz
--7 x 128b 128 SIMD GPRs
--7 x 256KB SRAM for SPE
--*1 of 8 SPEs reserved for redundancy
--Total floating point performance: 218 gigaflops

GPU RSX @ 550MHz
--1.8 TFLOPS floating point Performance
--Full HD (up to 1080p) x 2 channels
--Multi-way programmable parallel Floating point shader pipelines
--Sound Dolby 5.1ch, DTS, LPCM, etc. (Cell-based processing)

MEMORY
256MB XDR Main RAM @3.2GHz
256MB GDDR3 VRAM @700MHz
System Bandwidth Main RAM-- 25.6GB/s
VRAM--22.4GB/s
RSX-- 20GB/s (write) + 15GB/s (read)
SB2.5GB/s (write) + 2.5GB/s (read)

SYSTEM FLOATING POINT PERFORMANCE:
2 teraflops

STORAGE
--HDD Detachable 2.5" HDD slot x 1
--I/O--USB Front x 4, Rear x 2 (USB2.0)
--Memory Stickstandard/Duo, PRO x 1
--SD standard/mini x 1
--CompactFlash(Type I, II) x 1

COMMUNICATION
--Ethernet (10BASE-T, 100BASE-TX, 1000BASE-T) x 3 (input x 1 + output x 2)
--Wi-Fi IEEE 802.11 b/g
--Bluetooth--Bluetooth 2.0 (EDR)
--ControllerBluetooth (up to 7)
--USB 2.0 (wired)
--Wi-Fi (PSP)
--Network (over IP)

AV OUTPUT
Screen size 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p
HDMI out x 2
AV multi out x 1
Digital out (optical) x 1

DISC MEDIA
CD
PlayStation CD-ROM
PlayStation2 CD-ROM
CD-DA
CD-DA (ROM),
CD-R,
CD-RW
SACD Hybrid (CD layer),
SACD HD
DualDisc (audio side)
DualDisc (DVD side)
PlayStation 2 DVD-ROM
PlayStation 3 DVD-ROM
DVD-ROM
DVD-R
DVD-RW
DVD+R,
DVD+RW
Blu-ray Disc
PlayStation 3 BD-ROM
BD-ROM
BD

It would seem this thing can do it all.
Seriously 3.2ghz seems like overkill for a console, but with games looking better with leaps and bounds I am sure that in five years time this will be outdated and useless. Look at the PS2, it is now having a hard time competing with everyday Pc's.

I have read tons of reviews on the PS3 and the largest complaint is the controller:
I find it un natractive, as if they were intentionally trying to make it look futuristic and failed horribly. Of course I cannot fathom myself why it would make games more difficult to play. It still retains the overall shape of the old ps2 controller and the curvature would make it more comfortable to hold. I would even go as far to say it would be easier on the hands. The R buttons unfortunately seem to close together and to far from the edges making the fingers have to reach for them instead of relaxed.

Instead of waiting for them to release Designer colors, the Ps3 is being released in three versions:
I personally find the black color to be very nifty. The console itself looks very powerful as if any moment a little red light will come on and a monotone voice will sound off saying "Good morning Donovan."

All in all the Ps3 is shaping up to be a very powerful toy with a exciting look. It seems like Sony is trying to replace all your electronics into one package. Soon Sony will release a console that can cook, clean, Do your laundry and play your favorite games...

The future is looking bright

1 Comments:

  • At 10:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Enjoyed the blog about console nintendo wii found it very informative. I found a good website which also features console nintendo wii and console nintendo wii. The link is great for **uk bargains** including Nintendo Wii, PS2, PS3, games consoles and features famous online stores inc Argos, Marks and Spencer, Empire Direct, LX Direct, Tesco, Next. There is also a chance to play online bingo and try your luck at the online gambling sites available inc roulette, poker and fruit machines. I've also found another site for **free soccer links**. Hope you find these sites interesting - all the best!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home